Gauteng placed its disaster management centre on full alert on Friday as xenophobic attacks intensified in the province.

“”Gauteng Department of Co-operative Governance and Traditional Affairs MEC Jacob Mamabolo condemns all violence towards foreign nationals and has announced that the Provincial Disaster Management Centre is on full alert and on standby to assist people in distress,” a statement from Mamabolo’s office said.

Six people have already been killed in KwaZulu-Natal in attacks since last Friday and thousands have been displaced.

The statement came as police fired rubber bullets to contain violence at a hostel in Jeppestown downtown Johannesburg, as cars were set alight, according to live visuals by eNCA.

Disaster Management Joint Operations Centres in the City of Johannesburg and Ekurhuleni had been activated.

The Provincial Disaster Joint Operations Centre has also been activated and disaster management officials were on standby to help people in distress in: Johannesburg, Tshwane, Ekurhuleni, Sedibeng and on the West Rand.

“It must be stressed that the Provincial Disaster Management Centre and Municipalities are very serious about ensuring the safety, security and well-being of all residents in the province”, MEC Mamabolo said.

For emergencies, residents can contact:

City of Johannesburg – 011 375 5555

City of Tshwane – 012 358 6400/6300

Ekurhuleni Municipality – 011 458 0911

Sedibeng District Municipality- 016 440 1000

Westrand District Municipality: 107 or 011 951 3000.

Comment with your Facebook

comments